Sunday, February 21, 2010

For Unto Us A Son is Born

Alright here's the down and dirty... I checked into the hospital at 3pm on Monday to be induced. I've gotta admit I was a little weepy as we got out of the car, mostly I think because I was scared and just didn't know what to expect. Jonathan had to reassure me that we would definitely be leaving the hospital sometime very soon with a sweet baby boy. They started me on a little pill to soften my cervix at 5pm which I took in four parts throughout the night. I got really drowsy and ended up falling asleep around 9:30pm. By 2:30am I was wide awake and in active labor. I was breathing through my contractions and my heavy breathing woke up my sleeping husband, who rushed right to my side. Owen was turned sunny side up so I experienced mostly back labor. I'd heard back labor could be awful but my birth coach (the husband) gave me a seven hour back rub that got me through the pain. At 5am the nurse started my pitocin drip, and I was kind of scared because I'd heard that the contractions are more powerful and painful with pitocin. Honestly I'm not sure if that's true or not because I really have nothing to compare it to. Anyways, by 5:30am I was done. I told Jonathan that the pain was too intense and I wanted the epidural. He tried to encourage me to stay strong and keep going by telling me that our birthing book said that when you reach the "third emotional signpost" the feeling that you can't go on any longer, that your labor is almost over. But I didn't want to hear that I just wanted the drugs so he called in our awesome nurse Rivers who told me that I was doing great and she'd check my progress. I was 7 cm and almost ready to push. Needless to say I didn't get any drugs. The doctor came in and broke my water and I started pushing. Two hours later Owen was born!!!!!


  1. Congratulations! Little boys are very special people!

  2. Wow! I'm so impressed. Good work! I can't wait to meet your sweet boy. He's so super cute. :)