Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kale, Mushroom & Tomato Quiche with a Cashew Meal Crust


A few weeks ago, the women at my church hosted a baby shower for a very sweet first time mom. It was a great party, but the whole morning was a bit of a fiasco for me. I left the house late and forgot to bring my present! Since I signed up to bring a vegetable quiche and some party punch, I couldn't turn back around and pick it up. The food had to make it to the party before the guests.

 Thankfully it didn't end up being a big deal, but I thought I'd post the recipe for the quiche I brought to the party. Instead of stressing out and running all over town in search of ingredients the night before the shower, I decided to just wing it and try to use what I had in my refrigerator and cabinets.

I didn't have any almond meal for the crust but I'd randomly picked up cashew meal the last time I was shopping at Trader Joe's. It caught my eye because I LOVE cashews. The crust has a bit of a sweet taste (but not sugary by any means), you can easily substitute almond meal, or flour if you have either handy.

I don't own a pie pan, so I ended up using a spring form pan (the kind of pan you use to make cheesecakes). If you go this route, just make sure yours seals tightly. Mine was leaky and required that I put a baking sheet underneath it to keep the egg from seeping out.


Kale, Mushroom and Tomato Quiche with a Cashew Meal Crust

For the Crust:
1 1/2 cups cashew meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp
baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1TB water

For the Quiche:
10 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 cup kale
1 cup mushrooms
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Combine the ingredients for the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown
2. Meanwhile saute your veggies
3. Pour your veggies into your cooked crust
4. Combine eggs, salt & pepper and blend well
5. Pour the egg mixture into your crust and top with cheddar cheese
6. Cook for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and set

2 comments: